Subject: Re: date and time
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Giovannini <matias@k-bell.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/2000 14:10:28
"Henry B. Hotz" wrote:

> At 6:59 AM -0800 2/3/00, Matías Giovannini wrote:
> >I got the sources from the official ntp site
> >
> ><http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/>
> >
> >I'm able to keep *very* good time (actually, I set up a stratum-2 server).
>
> Did you download the sources because the bundled distribution didn't work?
> Or did you just want the latest and greatest?

I try to run server software using versions as current as I can. This
includes BIND and ntpd. I had to modify /etc/rc and /etc/rc.conf to use
ntpd 4.0.x, (note that ``make install'' installs in /usr/local/bin), but
other than that, no problems.

> I've personally tried it on a IIcx and an 840av.  The latter is on a
> moderately busy network so it probably got more than its fair share of
> interrupts that way, but is otherwise unused.  Xntp could never sync up,
> even though I gave it a fair selection of stratum 2 and 3 servers to choose
> from.

I'm pointing to a freakish stratum-3 server that makes ntpd complain
that it can't synchronize, but other than that, it works fine. It's a
Q800, though, and I seem to recall some discussions in this list
regarding weird interrupt behavior in a Q840.

--

khelûn sahaja svaicchâ = hago lo que se me canta