Subject: Re: compiler
To: dkphoto <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/2000 07:54:52
>Am I to conclude from this that the 'rumors' about Unix/Linux/BSD being
>fast on older Macs and PC's are less than accurate? I had dreams of
>breathing life back into several of these old machines. Is it just a
>bunch of nonsense?

Now this depends a LOT on what you want to do! The others say the
early Macs are slow because they are used to compiling kernels, which
are very, VERY BIG! If you are just compiling your OWN stuff -
really, how much can you actually write?

I spent 2 years doing development for a living on a Mac Plus with
4Meg RAM and a 20 MG hard drive, using MPW, and found that I could
work 3 times as fast as on a DOS system!

You pay your money & you takes your choice...

Dan Killoran
The National Society for the Prevention of Abuse of Apostrophes brings you
            the following reminder:

its      means "belonging to it"
it's     means "it is"

(Hint: if you can't remember this, just don't use apostrophes at all!)