Subject: Re: compiler
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/2000 18:14:51
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Heh... our official CS homework was all to be done on a Sequent Symmetry,
> an old 20-i386 model, which always had no less than 50 people logged
> into it at once.

I never used Sequents myself, but knew people who did... I always
thought they were neat though :) All those processors :)

> Heh... We (well, the Chemistry dept.) had a VAX 9000 for that sort
> of stuff, actually :-)

I checked, and UTexas had a VAX 6410 (later 6420)... it tended to be
slow though, with all the people on it.

I was just looking at the LINPACK benchmarks in
<http://www.utexas.edu/cc/newsletter/text/newsletter.dec91>... Cool, my
500MHz AlphaPC164 gets about 47MFLOPS, beating everything except the
Cray Y-MP/864 :) And that's with gcc... I bet DEC's compiler could do
better. (Or maybe Cray's compiler for their Alpha-based machines... T3E
or something?)