Subject: Re: compiler
To: dkphoto <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/2000 17:11:29
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, dkphoto wrote:
> Am I to conclude from this that the 'rumors' about Unix/Linux/BSD being
> fast on older Macs and PC's are less than accurate? I had dreams of
> breathing life back into several of these old machines. Is it just a
> bunch of nonsense?

Well, I'd say it's fast compared to MacOS or Windows 9x/NT on the same
hardware. However, it's slow compared to the latest hardware :) Whether
it's fast enough depends on what you want to do... I'd disagree that an
old Mac would be too slow for doing school assignments though; when I
was in school, intro to programming type assignments were done on Mac
Pluses and Mac SEs (Lightspeed Pascal, I think), and the speed seemed
fine... I don't think the CPU power needed by such programs has
really increased over the years :) The assignments for the partial
differential equations class were done on some vector processing VAX
running VMS though :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 24 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++