Subject: Re: date and time
To: Tino Reinhardt <h0444idm@rz.hu-berlin.de>
From: Lloyd I Freese Jr <dwarf@Op.Net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/2000 17:49:18
I would advise against ignoring the dead battery. If you do you could
try and turn it one day and have nothing happen. It's not as bad a
problem at it sounds. It will just force you into getting that
battery changed (it's caused by corrupted PRAM). About the screws,
they're a torx bit. If memory serves the size is #8 or #12 (it's been
a while).

At 1:41 AM +0100 2/2/00, Tino Reinhardt wrote:
>Thanks for your quick respose.
>Yes, it seems that the battery is dead: the display's contrast and
>brightness seems to be resetted some times.
>
>But my goal was to set the date/time by netBSD/software instead of
>investing in hardware and physical work ;). If I'm able to set the clock
>as root I won't have to look for the right screwdriver ;)
>
>Is the clock/RTC on a mac similar to a PC-clock? Why does the machine
>crash after setting the clock with "date"?
>
>BTW: its NetBSD 1.4.1 (GENERICSBC) on a PB520 without a FPU
>
>Tino
>
>  >The reason I suggested you take it to a service center is because I
>  >don't know how mechanically inclined you are. But Brendan's right, it
>  >is something you can do your self. The first thing to do would be
>  >check over any instructions you find on how to do it a few times
>  >first. They're a little tight inside, and the cables are delicate so
>  >be careful and take your time.
>  >
>  >Good Luck,
>  >Lloyd
>  >At 5:59 PM -0500 2/1/00, brendan burns wrote:
>  >>Actually there are instructions for how do do this on the web.  Its not
>  >>that much more tricky than upgrading the RAM/HD on one of these machines
>  >>and it'll probably save you $100.
>  >>
>  >>brendan
>  >

When they took the 2nd amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.

When they took the 4th amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.

When they took the 5th amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.

Now they've taken the 1st amendment, and I can't say anything at all.