Subject: Re: Followup Question: Installing on MacIIci
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: AstroZomby <astrozomby@antisocial.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/2000 03:35:41
Hmmm:
Looks like you may have hit it on the head there.  Now that I look back on
the Install Intructions I had printed, indeed it is from Open BSD.  Funny
thing, the instructions mention nothing about the "ect26.tar.gz" at all.
It actually tells you to install the three I'd mentioned "...and any other
packages you wish to install at this time..."  If it misses a really
important point there, because that file you mentioned does exist in the
folder of stuff that was handed to me.  Well hell.  Maybe I'll just go grab
the NetBSD instead.

I seem to have managed to get myself on the wrong mailing list...but maybe
it'll turn out to be the proper mailing list in that I've already gotten an
answer that seems to make sense.

Now, assuming I've folllowed you correctly here.  I should go ahead and
download the following:
                   NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k/binary/sets/base.tgz
	NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k/binary/sets/kern.tgz
	NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k/binary/sets/comp.tgz
                    NetBSD-1.4/mac68k/binary/sets/etc.tgz

I'm downloading these 4 now.
Is there a different version of the 68K Booter, Installer, and/or Mkfs that
you would reccomend I grab while I'm at it?  It's going on 4am here, so I
am about to crash for a bit...so I'll pick it up in the morning I guess.

>Er... you didn't get these from _OpenBSD_ did you?
>There is no NetBSD 2.6 (the latest is 1.4.1), but there is an OpenBSD 2.6.
>
>Also, those file names are _not_ what you'll find on the ftp.netbsd.org site.
>I think the NetBSD equivalent for what you list here would be:
>
>	NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k/binary/sets/base.tgz
>	NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k/binary/sets/kern.tgz
>	NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k/binary/sets/comp.tgz
>
>Sounds to me like the OpenBSD guys don't need to (or don't know how to)
>rebuild the mac68k installer, so they haven't re-branded it yet.
>(Disapproving hmmm.)
>
>Assuming they didn't change too much from how we do it, you should also have
>a file called "etc26.tar.gz" which is mandatory for a first-time install.
>
>(The stuff in "etc" provides defaults for all your local customization files
>and various other directories that are supposed to always exist on the boot
>disk. During an upgrade you install a new "base" but you don't install "etc"
>since that would erase all your local customizations. This is why they're
>separated into base.tgz and etc.tgz in all NetBSD distributions.)
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ best.com

 Jim Yanko                "Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"