Subject: Re: improper dumping
To: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
From: Merideth Johnston <merideth@sky.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/2000 00:34:33
At 11:40 AM -0500 1/31/0, Christopher P. Gill wrote:
>Meredith,
>	there is a known bug (well, I found out about it the same way that
>you did) having to do with df reporting partition sizes incorrectly on
>partitions subsequent to the first on a disk.  It kind of adds the values
>from the first partition to the second, and gives values that are too
>high.

okey dokey, I can live with that, as long as it isn't trying to write stuff
in wrong places....

but I still have this segmentation fault problem, and I don't know what is
causing it.  That seems to be the most serious thing.  It is intermittant,
as I can give it a command, such as ls -l /  and it will _most of the time_
do it right, but _sometimes_ it will give me a "segmentation fault - core
dumped" message partway thru the list.  I can turn around and do the very
same ls -l / right after this, and it will do the list right again.  Just
now, I was going thru the introductory tutorial for "info", and where it
said now try the ? to see the list of commands, it hit another
"segmentation fault" but this time, it hung, and would not respond to
anything whatsoever.  This would seem to be more than just trying to dump a
dump on the MacOS partition would imply - something is messing up simple,
regular, operations of the NetBSD OS.

>Perhaps you could send the list a message and include the contents of your
>fstab file, and the disk-related messages that come up on your display
>while booting up.  You could also tell us how you think your disks are
>configured, and how they should be.

Well, I would, but I don't know how to send such info over to the Mac side
of things - no way can I log on to the internet from NetBSD yet, and I
don't want to even try that until I know _lots_ more about how to operate
it.  I can't select and copy it even, as I don't think NetBSD has a
clipboard like my Mac, and if it did, nothing would be in it after
rebooting to get to the Mac OS....  so I'm between a rock and a hard place
there.  Unfortunately, I'm not far enough along to know how to use the
utilities mentioned previously to put a text file on my Mac partition from
NetBSD, or even _if_ I've got them installed.....  (I do have all 8
installation packages up, but I don't know if it is all accessable.  After
I moved /usr to sd0g partition, I installed the comp package, which the
installer put on the sd1a partition, which means I may not have access to
anything I moved.... or is it smart enough to figure that one out?  I don't
see how to tell what files are located where physically, only structurally,
and I'm not familiar enough with what is there to know whether I do have
access to the /usr stuff moved over to sd0g, or only to the stuff installed
on sd1a, or vice versa....  ie, the installer _had to put the new installs
on the zip disk_, which means the comp package contents are there now
(which is ok by me, as all the other usr stuff is over on the other disk).
Is this acceptable, or is there going to be a problem, in terms of file
structure?

um, I do _know_ how my disks are configured, tho...  if I were the total
dingbat, I don't think I'd be this far into it.  It's just that this is
_lots_ different than operating the Mac.  The partitions do not show up the
same in the various means of looking at them.  There is the Mac way, which
is a graphical representation (natch) and it shows every partition there
is, as it is laid out. Then there is the little devil, mkfs, which is a
dangerous beast, as it gives not enough info to identify which partition
you are looking at until you actually select it.  It is however, the only
way I was able to UN-create the extra Mac partition I had on there, as
nothing else would remove it.  (count my blessing, no?)  Then, there is the
NetBSD way of looking at it, which is the sd[diskid][partitionid] format,
which completely misses the driver, the zip label, and, the c partition is
the whole disk, no matter what. (very odd concept to me, that, tho it may
make sense to IBMers - also, natch).  I can tell you how my disks are
partitioned, but I can't guess _which way_ would be of use to you.
Perhaps, this:

sd0 - partition map & driver, first
sd0a - 4 gig Mac
sd0b - 32 meg swap
sd0c - ref for whole disk
sd0d - 50 meg usr (/var)
sd0e - free Apple, about 100 meg
sd0g - 100 meg usr (/usr)

sd1 - zip info, driver, 100 meg Zip
sd1a - about 97 meg root/usr
sd1b - 2 meg Mac

Now, the contents of the fstab file is more difficult, as I have to type it
in here from memory and notes....

/dev/sd1a  /  ffs  rw  1 1
/dev/sd0g  /usr  ffs  rw  1 2
/dev/sd0d  /var  ffs  rw  1 2  [just added this - haven't actually been up
with it here yet]
/dev/sd0b  none  swap  sw  0 0 [the b partition is actually on the outside
rim of the 0 disk]
proc - I forget what's here
something else just like proc

fstab.sd file is something like:

/dev/sd0a  / ffs  rw  1 1  (which is wrong, as that is the Mac 4 gig
partition...)
#/dev/sd0g  /usr  ffs  rw  1 2  (yes, it was commented out last time I
looked at it)
/dev/sd0b [not sure, this might be sd1b]  none swap  sw  0 0
proc & something, just like fstab file, I think

I haven't touched the fstab.sd file (yet), but the fstab file was modified
manually, using vi.  I don't know if the order is right, and haven't found
yet what order it is supposed to be in, except that it says somewhere
(probably the man page) that the order is important.... I'm hoping the
_most important_ thing is to keep the root first, regardless of partition
designations.  (crossing my fingers)

Merideth
merideth@sky.net     ;)-{8-->=     li'l wimyn      @-{--E=

http://www.sky.net/~merideth/ - visit my poetry page & art gallery
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9311 - genealogy site
http://www.anyboard.net/arts/artnpoetry/index.html - Art & Poetry Message
Board

*       *
                                                                           *
Don't weep for me because I will not know happiness, weep only if my
passion dies before I do.