Subject: Re: installing netbsd on a mac iicx
To: None <pwolfe@columbus.rr.com, sbrown@shellx.best.com>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/2000 10:34:23
Hi Patrick,

Unfortunately, the installer is in bad need of a rewrite and
has been for quite some time.  Also, unfortunately, I have
not had time to do so(between switching jobs, starting a new
relationship, etc.).

Most of the code in the installer is left over from the old
MacBSD days(before this effort became a full integrated part
of NetBSD).  The code has some limitations and bugs in dealing
with large disks.  It seems not to be able to deal with partitions
located beyond the first gigabyte of the drive.  Since your
HFS partition takes up the first gigabyte, I'm imagining
that is causing your problems.  I'm pretty sure you're not
going to be able to get the installer to work with your
setup.

Having said that, I think that the "sysinst" based install
is supposed to be functional and needing testing.  Since all
other ports use a sysinst-based install, it's being pushed
as the future roadmap of how we should be installing, too.

Someone else on the list should be able to point you towards
any needed documentation on how to install using sysinst,
etc.  Having used sysinst to install NetBSD/macppc at work
I found it rather straightforward and easy to use.

Hope that helps...

Steve
sbrown@best.com