Subject: partitions
To: NetBSD list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Merideth Johnston <merideth@sky.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/2000 06:34:30
I'm about ready to pull out _all_ my hair.  I swear, I cannot _find_ what I
need to do to configure the partitions to be used by NetBSD.  I have
searched, and searched, and....  _nothing_ tells me what I need to know in
order to proceed.  Which is:

1.  How do I find out how the partitions are labeled within NetBSD?  The
installer lists them, specifically:
sd0g: USR partition (for the compilers, games, etc, if I can get them there...)
sd0b: SWAP partition
sd0a: HFS_PART (MacOS, a little over 4 gig, and I don't want it _touched_
by NetBSD, ever - how do I ensure that?)
sd0d: USR partition (for my /home, if I can get it put there)
sd1a: ROOT/USR (the only way I could get the installer to install
_anything_ was to make one partition for both root & usr, and put it on the
zip drive - I could get absolutely nothing else to work. at all. period.
_Any_ root partition on my large hard drive causes the installer to fail,
with the message: error on SCSI read (), #5; failed mountfs (), error 22 -
whatever that means....)
sd1b: HFS_PART (MacOS, tiny 2meg, required for the Mac to recognize the
disk.  I intend to use it for any Mac files I want to reference from NetBSD)

2.  How do I configure the swap partition so it can be used?  I get the
message, swapctl:/dev/sd1b: device not configured.  Therefore, I have no
swap partition, until _something_ is done.  I don't know what partition it
_means_ by sd1b, tho I have the bad feeling it is looking for the swap
partition on the zip disk, and the only thing left there is the HFS
partition, which the installer refers to as... sd1b.  I don't know how to
tell it where the correct swap partition _is_, or why it doesn't know where
it is, when the installer so obviously did.

3.  How do I mount the various usr partitions, and assign them to be used
by NetBSD?  I need to move stuff off the zip disk, as it is now 75% full,
and I have not yet done a dang thing but search, and search, and search
thru the man pages, and all the books from the library, looking for some
means to manage installing, somewhere _anywhere_ besides the zip disk.

As far as I can tell, this would involve the fstab file, but that requires
the use of the specific partition designations as seen by NetBSD, and _I
don't know what they are_, or how to find out what they are, or if they are
the same as what the installer says they are.  (if they are the same, why
doesn't it recognize them already?)  You get the grim picture.

If someone would be so kind, before they fit me with a rather tight jacket
and haul me away jibbering quotes from UNIX Unleashed...

and bonking my forehead on the keyboard,

Merideth
merideth@sky.net     ;)-{8-->=     li'l wimyn      @-{--E=

http://www.sky.net/~merideth/ - visit my poetry page & art gallery
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9311 - genealogy site
http://www.anyboard.net/arts/artnpoetry/index.html - Art & Poetry Message
Board

*       *
                                                                           *
Don't weep for me because I will not know happiness, weep only if my
passion dies before I do.