Subject: Re: Can I use the X Window System?
To: None <fb@enteract.com, paul@wakawaka.com>
From: Paul Sander <paul@wakawaka.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2000 02:05:30
Hi folks,

I'm having problems with the Xmac68k_color server.  The color maps seem
to be all wrong.

I picked up Xmac68k_color from one of the sites listed below.  It seems
that Xmac68k_color is correct for NetBSD v1.4.1, whereas Xmac68k_OSFA is
correct for NetBSD v1.3.2.

I'm running this on a Quadra 840av (NetBSD v1.4.1) and the internal video.
Upon boot-up, I have it set to 1152x870 resolution and hundreds of colors.
I've tried this with the Mac standard gamma and uncorrected gamma settings.
In the NetBSD Booter application, I set it to change video to the identical
settings.  The machine boots fine.  I have my XDEVICE environment variable
set to "/dev/grf0,3" when I invoke "xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xmac68k_color".

Once the X server is running, it seems like the only colors that match
their documented definitions are black and white.  I've tried invoking
"xterm -bg `color'" where `color' is one of the RGB values described in
the "Color Names" section of the X(1) man page.  I've compiled a table
showing what I see for the various color values.  (Documented color names
are shown in parentheses.)

rgb:0/0/0		black		(black)
rgb:ffff/0/0		black		(red)
rgb:0/ffff/0		magenta		(green)
rgb:0/0/ffff		green		(blue)
rgb:ffff/ffff/0		red		(yellow)
rgb:ffff/0/ffff		cyan		(magenta)
rgb:0/ffff/ffff		green		(cyan)
rgb:ffff/ffff/ffff	white		(white)

I don't think this monitor is connected incorrectly; it's pretty hard to
miss with these connectors.  Also, the MacOS splash page and icons appear
to have the correct colors as the machine boots up.

Does anyone know what's wrong here, and how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

--- Forwarded mail from fb@enteract.com

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Paul Sander wrote:

> fb@enteract.com wrote:
>
> >XF86Setup is only for i386 Xservers. Xmac68k has nothing to configure.
> >(It's a plain B&W server). Xmac68k_OSFA does 256 greys or 16K colors,
> >depending on the Booter settings, but there's nothing for XF86Setup to
> >configure there, either.
>
> How does one get Xmac68k_OSFA?

The one called Xmac68k_color is the built from the sources for _OSFA,
but it's built against NetBSD-1.4.1 without DEBUG--the original binary
won't run on the Quadra 630.

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/
ftp://ftp.enteract.com/users/fb/NetBSD/X/

--- End of forwarded message from fb@enteract.com