Subject: Re: Can I use the X Window System?
To: None <book@autorimessa.co.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/2000 02:09:04
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 book@autorimessa.co.jp wrote:

> When I installed NetBSD/i386, I used /usr/X11/bin/XF86Setup
> to set up X. I used Xmac68k instead of XF86Setup.
> But 630 hang!

XF86Setup is only for i386 Xservers. Xmac68k has nothing to configure.
(It's a plain B&W server). Xmac68k_OSFA does 256 greys or 16K colors,
depending on the Booter settings, but there's nothing for XF86Setup to
configure there, either.

Try "exec startx 2>&1 >startx.log" while logged in as root,
multi-user, and see what happens.

> I thought, 630 can't use X.

I don't about the stock P630, since I replaced the chip with a 68040
some time ago, but X works fine. Resolutions are limited by the fact
that the built-in VRAM is only 3/4M, and RAM is limited to 36M, but
other than that, it's a capable machine.

> I'll read documents, and try it again.

The docs could be out of date. Where does it say the '630 doesn't
support X?