Subject: printing on Laserwriter IINT
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/11/2000 02:39:41
Hi,

I just recently acquired a Laserwriter IINT, and am trying to get printing
set up on a connected NetBSD machine.

The printer usually works, except if I shut it off while the green light is
blinking (botched print job), the red paper jam light starts blinking when
I turn it back on.  The online manual says that this means the printer
requires service. But the printer seems to work fine other times - I've
printed stuff out in macos, it works great.  Any laserwriter gurus have any
idea what could be wrong?

Would anyone happen to know how to shut off the paper-wasting test page
everytime the printer is turned on? Also, what kind of stuff can I do with
the ADB port?

So far, I put the dip switches in "Up Down" mode, so its printing as 9600
baud serial, as opposed to localtalk. I might use localtalk if I ever get a
power supply to a gatorbox I have somewhere here.

I've only been able to successfully print postscript files on this printer
so far, by running

cat file.ps > /dev/tty01

I've had no luck with a printcap, which I thought was pretty simple to set
up (haven't gotten it working yet, so I can't say that!)

laser|lp|LaserWriter IINT on Serial:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :lp=/dev/tty01:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/pkg/share/psffilters/ifpaprev:

I used ifpaprev to try to print out some text using lpr, but I didn't even
get as far as printing postscript using lpr.  I installed netatalk, but
this is for later - I want to have a network printer on local ethernet
using papd eventually.

Any ideas? Can anyone throw me a printcap they've gotten to work with this
model printer?

thanks,

  - a