Subject: Re: 8 Gig disk partition limit
To: Donald Lee <donlee_68k@icompute.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/2000 06:55:51
Donald Lee  (donlee_68k@icompute.com) wrote:

>At 1:03 AM -0600 1/9/00, Bob Nestor wrote:
>>Donald Lee  (donlee_68k@icompute.com) wrote:
>>
>>>I have a desire now to go in and hack Mkfs a little so it could simply
>>>allow me to convert hfs partitions, without requiring at least one
>>>unix fs on the disk.  Maybe I'll get ambitious tomorrow. ;->
>>
>>I'm not sure what you were seeing here, but that's not the way I remember
>>Mkfs working. When I was testing those changes I always started with a
>>disk that had nothing but HFS partitions. Just what version were you
>>using?
>
>I have two versions, both from the NetBSD 1.4.1 68K package.  One has
>the little red devil icon, and no obvious "version", but I think it's
>the 1.46 version that fixed the problems with Linux-ized filesystems.
>The other is 1.45 (generic icon).  I was using 1.46 when I did what
>I described.

All versions of Mkfs since the days of NetBSD 1.0 show the version number
in the window where you select the SCSI drive to be operated on.  Version
1.45 will work fine except it won't deal properly with a filesystem that
was previously used for Linux-68k. Version 1.46 has problems and has been
pulled from the NetBSD server.  Version 1.47 fixed the Linux-68k problem
and is available on the NetBSD Server in both the NetBSD-1.4.1 and
arch/mac68k directory areas.  The code to convert HFS partitions into
NetBSD ones was put in back around version 1.3 or so, and it was always
tested on my machine by initializing a disk with all non-AU/X partitions,
i.e. all HFS types ones, then converting them.  I tested this against all
the disk formatters I had available at the time; Apple's, Transoft,
RealTech, FWB, and Superspot.  Maybe you've found yet another variation
with the disk formatter you used, but I thought we had rung all those out
years ago.

-bob