Subject: Mount filesystems from Ultrix labelled disks
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lorenzo Corradini <lcorradini@katamail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/07/2000 03:07:09
Hi, I am a new entry in the NetBSD mac68k mailing list.

I'm running NetBSD 1.4.0 on a Quadra 650 and it works
very fine. Now, the problem is that I have a DEC RZ25
disk currently on a Ultrix 4.3A DECstation that I need
to move over to the Quadra while preserving
its content. My final goal is to install
NetBSD/pmax on the DECstation. The disk was set
up using the following Ultrix 4.3A instructions:

# rzdisk -f vendor /dev/rrz4c (it formats the disk)
# newfs /dev/rrz4a unknown    (it installs a default
                          partition map onto the drive)
# newfs /dev/rrz4g RZ25       (it creates a UFS
                         filesystem onto "g" partition)

where RZ25 is the entry in /etc/disktab for this kind
of drive
(ref.
http://www.cslab.vt.edu/handbook/newdisk-ultrix.html).

If I switch the RZ25 drive to the NetBSD/mac68k I am
not able
to mount the "g" partition. Here the errors I get:

# disklabel -r sd4
disklabel: no disk label

# mount /dev/sd4g /mnt
mount_ffs: /dev/sd4g on /mnt: Device not configured
/netbsd: sd4: no disk label -- NetBSD or Macintosh

May be Ultrix doesn't use a disk label format
compatible with NetBSD.
Is there a way to mount the filesystem from this disk
on NetBSD/mac68k
without losing the data and leaving the disk in a state
such that its filesystems could later be mounted again
on Ultrix?

In case it's relevant, it wouldn't ever be necessary to
be able to
boot the NetBSD machine from the Ultrix disk.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lorenzo Corradini
lcorradini@katamail.com

Se vuoi un indirizzo di posta elettronica gratuito,
iscriviti a http://www.katamail.com