Subject: Re: Semi-Off Topic: Haunted IIcx
To: dk smith <dks@spies.com>
From: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/2000 08:13:11
On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, dk smith wrote:

> >The power button on the IIcx (and IIci, maybe others) could be set to
> >the lock-on position for when the systems are used as servers; when
> >set, the system automatically powers itself up whenever it is shutdown
> >or whenever there's a power failure.
> >
> >John
>
> How does one adress this issue on a Q800? I want to use mine as a server
> however the Q800 does not have this button/lock mechanism.

I have a Quadra 800 (NetBSD 1.4, 40/500+520/CD, 640 Kbps ADSL), and it
most definitely has a locking power button on the back.  That slot in the
power button allows you to rotate it so that it stays in the depressed
position. My machine would automatically restart after a power failure or
shutdown.  Just the other day, I forgot that it was set like that, and it
restarted itself after I issued a "shutdown -p"  command prior to opening
the case up.  I had to twist the button back to the normal position and
shut it down again.

Your question on autobooting has been answered - put an alias to the
booter in the Startup Items folder, and set the booter application to
autoboot after some time period, without requiring manual user
confirmation.

"Don't die wondering..."                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~cpg
                                              email: cpg@scs.howard.edu
chris out-              Christopher P. Gill
  peace.        C.L.D.C. Senior System Operator (Ret.)