Subject: Re: new installation problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@toad.bu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/2000 18:02:04
I recently aquired a Powerbook 160 (12 megs RAM), figuring I could get
some Unix-like OS running on it.  I'm starting with NetBSD because it
appears to be the most developed of the Mac/m68k ports.

Unfortunately, information on support for the 160 has been hard to come
by.  There are messages in the archives from folks who claim to be booting
160s complete with working internal video -- but there is information
elsewhere that says the 160 doesn't work at all.

And all of the information appears to be for 1.3 kernels.

I've installed NetBSD 1.4 on my powerbook.  It looks like it starts to
to work -- the kernel loads, blanks the screen, and gets as far as:

  Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
  Getting mapping from MMU.

At this point it just stops.  I've tried both of the "GENERIC" kernels
from:

  ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/kernel/

With the same result.

If someone out there is able to point me in the right direction, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks much,

  -- Lars

--