Subject: Re: Open Relay and Sendmail
To: John Pannell <john@banff.newyearsday.com>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1999 21:53:06
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, John Pannell wrote:

> They say I need to disable the external relay features of my server,

Yes, I got one of those, too, but I haven't fixed it yet either.  My
understanding is that if I install the sendmail from pkgsrc and configure
it properly, i'll be good-to-go, because all this spam stuff is in the
latest sendmail.

NetBSD doesn't integrate the latest sendmail into the base ``src'' because
8.8.8 has a more free license than later revisions.  right?

I think your best bet is to install the pkgsrc sendmail, and learn how to
configure it using the m4 config file system.  There are docs for the
antispam FEATURE()s at www.sendmail.org, and there are docs for the m4
config subsystem strewn about as README's and examples in the m4 tree (i
think) /usr/pkg/share/sendmail.

Now, there is a cf hack to stop 8.8.8 from relaying, isn't there?
Maybe this should come with NetBSD.  AFAICT there is one here:

  http://www.sendmail.org/antispam.html

Fixing the ORBS complaint has an inevitable side-effect:  it will stop you
from using the ORBS-fixed host as an SMTP relay for PeeCee email clients
like Eudora and stuff.  If all your PeeCee's have fixed IP addresses, you
can get around this by listing their FQDN's one-at-a-time in a config
file.  8.9 adds the ability to relay for an entire subnet.

If you need to accomodate dialup Eudora users with unpredictable IP
addresses, check out:

  http://www.cynic.net/~cjs/computer/sendmail/poprelay.html

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US