Subject: Re: Open Relay and Sendmail
To: John Pannell <john@BANFF.newyearsday.com>
From: Christopher Palmer <reid@pconline.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1999 17:10:17
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, John Pannell wrote:

> 1.  What version of sendmail is stock with NetBSD 1.4.1? - the security
> fixes and concerns differ for different versions of sendmail... (and
> could you show me how to find out versions for myself in the future...
> :)

The top of your /etc/sendmail.cf file should have details on that (and who
built your Sendmail, and when).

> 2.  Has anyone else had this experience?  What did you do to solve it?

heh I got rid of Sendmail. Other mailers like Postfix and Qmail require
that you do extra stuff to turn relaying *on*, unlike Sendmail which has
it on by default. Also, alternative mailers are generally easier to
configure and deal with than Sendmail.

My NetBSD 1.4.1 system is running Postfix. You can get it from
postfix.org.

> 3.  I use this machine to host a domain, and check/send mail using
> Netscape email client from home.  Will stopping external relaying ruin
> my own mail service?

Not categorically. You may need to specifically allow relaying from your
host. The various Sendmail help docs that you'v already found concerning
relaying will have info on that. And, of course, you may be fine anyway.

> I'm digging into the sendmail book, but judging by its size, that could
> take a while... thanks in advance for any help!

It was a good book for its time, but recent versions of Sendmail are
significantly different than what is described in the book, and it does
not deal with relaying at all.

reasons.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com