Subject: Open Relay and Sendmail
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Pannell <john@newyearsday.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1999 15:11:26
Hi everyone-

I am running NetBSD 1.4.1 (generic) on a Centris 650... it is connected
to the internet full-time.  I recently received an automated email from
orbs.org - a group dedicated to stamping out SPAM on the web.  The email
noted that my server (specifically Sendmail) was acting as an open
relay, and is a prime target for all types of spamming activity.  Which
doesn't sound good to me.

They say I need to disable the external relay features of my server, and
gave me some links to sites that help with mail security concerns.  Some
questions:

1.  What version of sendmail is stock with NetBSD 1.4.1? - the security
fixes and concerns differ for different versions of sendmail... (and
could you show me how to find out versions for myself in the future...
:)

2.  Has anyone else had this experience?  What did you do to solve it?
I did a search of the list archives for "Open Relay", but nothing turned
up.

3.  I use this machine to host a domain, and check/send mail using
Netscape email client from home.  Will stopping external relaying ruin
my own mail service?

I'm digging into the sendmail book, but judging by its size, that could
take a while... thanks in advance for any help!

John Pannell