Subject: Re: ssh
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1999 13:46:29
On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 02:18:49PM -0800, The Green Avenger wrote:
>
> Either cd /usr/src/pkgsrc/security/ssh ; make ; make install or grab
> the source from ftp.cs.hut.fi/ssh and compile it yourself (I recomend
> the latter method because it gives you more control and means that you
> *have* to know the compile time options passed to a rather important
> security daemon, but there are those here who disagree with me).

Well then you'll also want to grab the patches from pkgsrc. Some of them
are to adapt for how the package system does things (which you can skip
for a /usr/local install), while others are real improvements. Like ssh
wants to use its own libz, when we ship with one.  Also, ssh
conditionalizes some things on FREEBSD when they really should be 44BSD
(like how sshd reads the password formats),

It's not that we (well I) disagree that it's good to know the options
you're passing to a security daemon, the disagreement comes in steering
folks away from the package system. People put a lot of work into making
things work well with NetBSD, and it seems counter productive to steer
others away from that. Especially since in some cases the package system
is MORE safe than the distributions! Some of the RSAREF buffer overruns
were fixed in pkgsrc as soon as they were announced. :-)

> > Also, are there searchable archives of this email list?  It would help
> > keep us newbies from asking questions that have already been answered. ;-)
>
> Searchable, no, but you could make one of your own easily enough by

That changed recently. ;-) The search index builders got caught up to
date, and so now the searchable indexes are back on line. :-)

Take care,

Bill