Subject: Re: ae driver probing max. 32k RAM -- why?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1999 15:29:14
At 7:41 AM -0500 12/23/99, Allen Briggs wrote:
>> This seems to be a general theme. Perhaps we should write a routine that
>> can size a potentially aliased block of addressed space.
>
>That's not a bad idea...  mac68k_bus_mem_size()?
>
>-allen

Sounds like a good name.

Just write ascending values at even intervals from high memory downward.
Then scan the intervals back from low memory upward. The aliases become
immediately apparent.

Of course, you first have to use bus_space_probe to get an idea of the
maximum address space to check.

We may even want to fill in an array that the caller provides which shows
how memory blocks are aliased to each other.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill