Subject: Re: serial port speed
To: Jean-Francois Fortier <jefortie@cgocable.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1999 15:09:57
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Jean-Francois Fortier wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>   I did the ppp config on my se30 this moorning with a ZyXEL U1496e
> modem and it works very well. But I was wondering what is the maximum
> tty00 speed I can setup in the "ppp-up" file.  For the moment, I use
> 19200 but I would like to use 57600... is it possible ?

Yes. A better question, though, is, "is it wise?" :-)

In -current and in 1.4.2, you can actually set it to 230400.

But that's not necessarily wise.

To see what's ok, try raising the speed. Then look to see if you're
getting silo overflows or ifloods. If you're getting silo overflows, lower
the baud rate. If you're seeing ifloods, make sure you're using "cdtrcts"
handshaking, have the modem set to do RTS/CTS handshaking, and have a
hardware handshaking modem cable. Also you need to set the modem to not
disconnect when DTR goes away.

The thing to remember is each time you see a silo overflow or an iflood,
that means that you have lost a packet which was coming over the ppp link.
If it was an interactive packet (like you typed a key in a window), that's
easy to resend. But if you're downloading, the packet was as full as it
can be, and it all has to be resent.

The amount of disk activity you do will make a difference, with the less
the better. Hauke has run an isdn connection on a IIci (I think) at 115200
without problem. But that machine ONLY hooks the ISDN to the local
ethernet.

Take care,

Bill