Subject: Re: New "release" snapshot
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/1999 07:28:17
On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Bob Nestor wrote:

> No, there are a number of problems building with -current source.  A
> "make all" at the top level fails with some problems in building libc.

That's bad...

> Building an Installation Kernel fails with an error in x_ftp,

Does it help if you "make depend && make" in /usr/src/usr.bin/ftp
first? The intention is that the installation kernel is to be built as
part of a "make release", after the tree is fully populated. It should
work, of course, within /usr/src/distrib/mac68k/instkernel as long as
the binaries and INSTALL kernel are already made, but I think ftp on
demand of distrib may be different than doing it from "make build".
(This is bad, yes, but all the ports seem to have the same situation.)

> and past that the final merge step fails because of an unresolved
> reference to softdep code in the INSTALL kernel.

Also bad. (Scott?) You can work around this, for now, by defining
"options SOFTDEP" in the INSTALL kernel.

> The nroff problems were just
> warnings and didn't stop the build, but they should be fixed I think.

Neither SOFTDEP or nroff will be a problem with 1-4, so if you can get
around them for now, it should be OK to pull up the remaining changes.

> The build of the miniroot also bombed, but I never did get that to
> work even back in the 1.4 source when I first worke don sysinst.

The install kernel needs one or two files from under miniroot, but we
don't have any reason to build it.