Subject: Re: New "release" snapshot
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1999 19:33:42
Bill Studenmund  (wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov) wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> Bill Studenmund  (wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov) wrote:
>>
>> >Don't you at that point know which partitions are which? i.e. a) is here,
>> >b) there, & so on? Couldn't you just set a new disklabel into the kernel?
>> >
>> Sure, that's exactly what needs to be done.  Now how do you convince the
>> kernel that you have a new disklabel and that it should be used instead
>> of the one the kernel currently has incore?
>
>Check out DIOCSDLABEL, which just modifies the in-core label. You pass it
>a struct disklabel *, and it loads that. In fact, most disk drivers have
>DIOCSDLABEL and DIOCWDLABEL using the same code path except right at the
>end where DIOCWDLABEL writes it to disk too.

Frederick,

This is a simple change to the sysinst code if you'd like to make it,  or
if you'd prefer I can do it and test it for you.  There is a small risk
that sysinst might not get the partition order layed out the way the
kernel sees them on the next boot though.  It shouldn't and Colin Wood
and I spent a lot of time on the code trying to make sure this won't
happen, but if it does it's a sysinst bug.  Or maybe you'd rather wait
for the long-term fix that implements the ioctl to re-read the disk
label.  I'll do whatever you'd like me to on this, just let me know.

-bob