Subject: Re: serial port.
To: Charles Sebold <sebold@lcms.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1999 21:41:14
At 17:32 Uhr +0100 20.12.1999, Charles Sebold wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 10:00:30AM -0500, Jean-Francois Fortier wrote:
>> My question is:  Will I have exactly the same result if I try it (ppp ddr
>> nat) on macbsd 68030 box.
>
>Based on my earlier experiences with a IIci, I suspect that you won't do
>quite as well with your SE/30 as I have with my P475, but you may find
>that you do better under NetBSD than you did under MacOS, particularly
>if that's all you're going to have that SE/30 doing.  My IIci did
>occasionally give me...what were they..."silo" overflows, perhaps?  It's
>been a while.  But it wasn't too bad.

If you don't need anything else from the box (like, DNS or AppleTalk file
services), and if you can avoid disk accesses that block interrupts for
considerable time, a IIci keeps up with an ISDN line just fine. That's 7k2
sustained. Your SE/30 will do 57k6 fine in the same situation. It's a pity
that all the world relies on the modems doing compression instead of the
attached computers.

	hauke