Subject: Re: newbie question
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1999 15:20:54
David A. Gatwood  (dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org) wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
>
>> 	BootX uses something called Open Firmware on Power Macs, which
>> is, unfortunately, not available on old 68k Macs.
>
>Actually, BootX doesn't require OF.  MkLinux can boot directly via BootX,
>even on {6/7/8}100's.  Granted, this has only been the case for about two
>weeks, but....  ;-)
>
>However, I have no idea how well BootX could be modified to suit
>NetBSD-mac68k....

BootX only runs on PCI based machines, or did last time I checked.  I
don't believe any 68k Mac uses PCI and certainly some of the early PPC
Macs didn't.  It would be nice to have something like BootX available and
have it pass the necessary info to the kernel just like Booter does now.
That would allow us to run on even more systems like my non-PCI based
603e. The problem, which I think Nigel was really addressing, is there's
no easy way to obtain the information that is nicely packaged up in Open
Firmware.  That's in part what forces us to rely on running the 68k
Booter under MacOS so we can grab the info we need after MacOS has found
it an put it into a form we know how to handle.

-bob