Subject: Re: newbie question
To: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au, ahenderson@POMONA.EDU>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1999 13:05:44
At 5:13 PM +1100 12/19/99, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:

>  > Are there any utilites/extentions/whatever out there that
>  > would allow me to boot bsd w/o first booting mac?  And where can I get
>  > them?  I looked at the list archive and saw references to something called
>  > "das boot" but could not find any binaries, the site seemed to be dead and
>  > the archive was from '97.
>
>	Das Boot was something that implemented a good portion of the
>Booter code as an extension instead of a MacOS application. It was
>still effectively running under the MacOS, it just did it's work
>before the MacOS Finder started running.
>
>	Putting the Booter application in the 'Startup Items' folder
>and setting the Booter Preferences to 'Auto boot on startup' achieves
>almost the same thing as Das Boot did.

For even more speed, replace the Finder with the Booter application
(since the Finder is just a special application).

If you're using a System Folder, you'll need to change the type of
the Booter application to FNDR, and the creator to MACS, and name it
"Finder" and put it in the System Folder.

If you aren't using a System Folder (i.e. you just have a System file
in the root level of your hard drive), then the System won't check
type and creator codes and will just look for something named
"Finder" to launch.  So your root level of your boot volume can
contain just "System" and the Booter renamed "Finder", for the most
bare-bones startup imaginable. :)

- Nathan