Subject: Re: newbie question
To: None <ahenderson@POMONA.EDU>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1999 17:13:56
> Are there any utilites/extentions/whatever out there that
> would allow me to boot bsd w/o first booting mac?  And where can I get
> them?  I looked at the list archive and saw references to something called
> "das boot" but could not find any binaries, the site seemed to be dead and
> the archive was from '97.

	Das Boot was something that implemented a good portion of the
Booter code as an extension instead of a MacOS application. It was
still effectively running under the MacOS, it just did it's work
before the MacOS Finder started running.

	Putting the Booter application in the 'Startup Items' folder
and setting the Booter Preferences to 'Auto boot on startup' achieves
almost the same thing as Das Boot did.

	BootX uses something called Open Firmware on Power Macs, which
is, unfortunately, not available on old 68k Macs.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "reality  is  that  which  |
| Telstra IN & InD, Sydney, Australia.  |  doesn't go away when you  |