Subject: Re: Q630 problems
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/1999 06:47:32
Frederick Bruckman  (fb@enteract.com) wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Ryan Ordway wrote:
>
>> 	Also, the reason I was going to upgrade was I'm having problems with
>> df reporting strange numbers. I consistently get 111% used, independent of
>how
>> much disk space I'm really using.
>
>> 	I've got 3 partitions:
>>
>> 	sd0a /		~600MB
>> 	sd0d /home	~200MB
>> 	sd0g /var	~125MB
>> 	sd0b swap	~80MB
>>
>> 	I'm going to try reformatting the drive entirely and rearranging the
>> partitions. Perhaps the ordering of the partitions is confusing the system.
>
>The bug is probably in Mkfs. It only makes old style filesystems, the
>kind you get with "newfs -O ...", but not _exactly_ the same. I'm
>going to be uploading an install kernel with the 1.4.2pre snapshot
>today or tomorrow. The partitioning feature is reported not to work,
>but newfs should be fine. But note: 1) The Installer only works with
>old-style partitions; 2) The Booter works OK with new-style
>partitions, but only if the kernel file is created in the root
>directory (untar directly into /, else use "cp -p" or "cp" instead of
>"mv"; sysinstall from an unmounted partition should DTRT).

There's a new version of Mkfs 1.47 that fixes the bug I introduced in
1.46. It's been uploaded to the NetBSD FTP site in the arch/mac68k area.

The partitioning feature in sysinst works if you have installed the
appropiate patch to the kernel before building the installation kernel.
What sometimes fails for users is the newfs step in sysinst.  This is in
the MI section of the code and I've heard from some others that it also
sometimes fails in other ports.  Right now I don't know what the problem
is so I haven't got it fixed.

There's also an installation kernel with the updated INSTALL
documentation on my system. I know it works for some systems since it's
what I used to partition and install the entire 1.4.1 system on the disk
I'm currently running from.

-bob