Subject: Re: Q630 problems
To: Ryan Ordway <ryan@gstis.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/1999 02:03:48
On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Ryan Ordway wrote:

> 	Also, the reason I was going to upgrade was I'm having problems with
> df reporting strange numbers. I consistently get 111% used, independent of how
> much disk space I'm really using.

> 	I've got 3 partitions:
>
> 	sd0a /		~600MB
> 	sd0d /home	~200MB
> 	sd0g /var	~125MB
> 	sd0b swap	~80MB
>
> 	I'm going to try reformatting the drive entirely and rearranging the
> partitions. Perhaps the ordering of the partitions is confusing the system.

The bug is probably in Mkfs. It only makes old style filesystems, the
kind you get with "newfs -O ...", but not _exactly_ the same. I'm
going to be uploading an install kernel with the 1.4.2pre snapshot
today or tomorrow. The partitioning feature is reported not to work,
but newfs should be fine. But note: 1) The Installer only works with
old-style partitions; 2) The Booter works OK with new-style
partitions, but only if the kernel file is created in the root
directory (untar directly into /, else use "cp -p" or "cp" instead of
"mv"; sysinstall from an unmounted partition should DTRT).

One possibility, would be to load the sets into /var, an old-style
partition, boot from the install kernel, choose the menu options to
install to sd0a, then "install from an unmounted partition" (sd0g).
Afterwards, "newfs /dev/sd0g", mount it, and copy the contents of the
/var directory to it before making it your /var (edit /etc/fstab, and
so on).

I'll make an announcement on this list as soon as the install kernel
and the sets are in place.