Subject: Re: Q630 problems
To: Ryan Ordway <ryan@gstis.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/13/1999 23:55:05
On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Ryan Ordway wrote:

> 	Tried to upgrade to -current this afternoon. I wiped my system and
> installed the latest snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org. Unfortunately it appears ADB
> is screwed up, I type a character and sometimes it echoes 3 or 4... more if I
> let it go. Same for backspace.. alot of times I had to Ctr-U to kill the whole
> line and start over... it took me 5 minutes to reboot! ;-) Have there been any
> problems with -current lately? This was with the HWDIRECT code on a Q630,
> latest snapshot (Nov something).

Q800.  Same problem.  I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, but apparently
it got lost in the shuffle.

> 	Also, the reason I was going to upgrade was I'm having problems
> with df reporting strange numbers. I consistently get 111% used,
> independent of how much disk space I'm really using. I tried both NCR
> and SBC SCSI drivers. This is on a 1009MB Micropolis external SCSI
> drive. Works fine otherwise. But, the disk usage reporting screws up
> sendmail... without spool space it refuses to run. Same with "make
> package" in the pkgsrc tree. I've been trying to package up some
> packages and can't. Any ideas on how to fix this? This is with a 1.4.1
> base system, Q630 and the 1009MB Micropolis drive. I thought about
> building a custom kernel from the 1.4.1 sources and trying different
> combinations of options. I had ran 1.4.1 on this system previously
> without any problems, though it was on a 1.3GB drive, I believe my
> problems started when I swapped in the smaller drive.

If it's what I think it is, it's a problem with current kernels and the
MacOS-side mkfs.  I'm not sure if it's fixed in the current version or
not.  Anyway, newfs under NetBSD definitely generates correct values.  Has
anyone compared the generated filesystems to see if this is something that
could be cleaned up in fsck, by any chance?

David