Subject: Re: X failures w/NuBus card
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1999 12:26:46
Michael R. Zucca drunkenly mumbled...

> framebuffer X server. The fb capable X server can handle all sorts of
> weirdness, like interleaved bitplane displays (which we'll need to support
> 24 bpp on the 8*24GC).

the fb capable X server is a dream come true.  well, sorta.  but it is a
lifesaver.  with the fb device i can run X in 24-bit mode on a video card that
is 100% unsupported (besider 256 colors, ick) by the standard X servers.
a bit of a resource hog (remember we are EMULATING framebuffer hardware)
but it does work.  something tells me if you got the fb device working for
NetBSD/mac86k it would solve a lot of X related problems people are having.

just some random info.

-wonko