Subject: Re: X failures w/NuBus card
To: Steven Hascall <steve@ezl.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1999 23:45:08
At 11:17 PM -0500 11/30/99, Steven Hascall wrote:
>I have a Q650 running 1.4.1 with a SuperMac (read
>Radius) Thunder II GX card.

Ok, I think I've got the card you're talking about laying around. The last
time I fired it up I think it worked OK. BTW, it is important to note that
our X server doesn't support 24 bit color (Millions) only 16 bit color
(thousands)

>When I boot, the console reports an unknown
>video card ID 0x418 and that it is not installing an interrupt routine
>for it. Also, none of the ite's are configuring (I don't know if that is
>significant or not.)  The console works just fine. For the purpose of
>troubleshooting I hooked up a monitor to the internal video as well, and
>when I run startx (with -- :0.1, -- :0.0, -- :1, and other desperate
>guesses), X comes up on the internal video just fine but ignores the
>card and monitor I *want* it to use.

Are you using multiple monitors simultaneously? This can be done but I
think you need to set an environment variable or pass a special argument to
X to tell it which grf device(s) you want it to come up on. I think Ken
knows the right incantations.

Have you tried booting in 16 bit mode with just a single monitor hooked up
to the card? This should just work.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill