Subject: Re: X failures w/NuBus card
To: Steven Hascall <steve@ezl.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1999 04:58:35
Well, as per the FAQ on the SLOTMAN home page, the first thing I'd need
from you is a _complete_ output from the boot process.  Transcribe it by
hand, or capture it on a serial console.  And if you drop into the
debugger, type a "t" command to get a stack backtrace.  Send it all to
me via Email.

Next step will probably be for you loan me you video card for a bit,
unless I get lucky and figure things out from the trace.

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Steven Hascall wrote:

> After visiting Mike Zucca's web site, I got the impression I could use a
> Nubus video card with X (read *color* X) in NetBSD if I just booted with
> the card set to thousands or millions of colors. I wouldn't be writing
> this if it worked. I have a Q650 running 1.4.1 with a SuperMac (read
> Radius) Thunder II GX card. When I boot, the console reports an unknown
> video card ID 0x418 and that it is not installing an interrupt routine
> for it. Also, none of the ite's are configuring (I don't know if that is
> significant or not.)  The console works just fine. For the purpose of
> troubleshooting I hooked up a monitor to the internal video as well, and
> when I run startx (with -- :0.1, -- :0.0, -- :1, and other desperate
> guesses), X comes up on the internal video just fine but ignores the
> card and monitor I *want* it to use.  The slotman kernels crash on boot
> for me :), and I've tried every X server linked on Paul's site. I hope
> somebody out there can help me get started with this.
>
> -Steve
> steve@ezl.com
>
> BTW, I haven't used NetBSD for a while (because of no color X) and I
> love, just *love* the new LFS support. Nice work!

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |