Subject: X failures w/NuBus card
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Hascall <steve@ezl.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1999 04:17:35
After visiting Mike Zucca's web site, I got the impression I could use a
Nubus video card with X (read *color* X) in NetBSD if I just booted with
the card set to thousands or millions of colors. I wouldn't be writing
this if it worked. I have a Q650 running 1.4.1 with a SuperMac (read
Radius) Thunder II GX card. When I boot, the console reports an unknown
video card ID 0x418 and that it is not installing an interrupt routine
for it. Also, none of the ite's are configuring (I don't know if that is
significant or not.)  The console works just fine. For the purpose of
troubleshooting I hooked up a monitor to the internal video as well, and
when I run startx (with -- :0.1, -- :0.0, -- :1, and other desperate
guesses), X comes up on the internal video just fine but ignores the
card and monitor I *want* it to use.  The slotman kernels crash on boot
for me :), and I've tried every X server linked on Paul's site. I hope
somebody out there can help me get started with this.

-Steve
steve@ezl.com

BTW, I haven't used NetBSD for a while (because of no color X) and I
love, just *love* the new LFS support. Nice work!