Subject: Re: Fail to compile imlib(-1.9.4.tar.gz)
To: Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
From: Ken Nakata <nakata@sequent.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1999 02:03:54
Tod McQuillin wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Shigeki Uno wrote:
> > -c testimg.c testimg.c:16656: virtual memory exhausted gmake[2]: ***
> > [...]
> > Virtual memory exhausted ? Why ? What's going on ?
>
> I don't know how much RAM or swap space you have configured, but gcc can
> use enormous amounts of RAM when doing optimisation, espcially on large
> source files.  Try removing the '-O2' from the CFLAGS in the Makefile.

Virtual memory getting exhausted *usually* has nothing to do with the
amount of RAM or swap space you have.  It's more likely to be related to
your resource allocation.  Try "man <whatever shell you use>" and see
section for limit or ulimit command (limit for csh and friends, ulimit
for sh and friends).

Ken