Subject: Re: netatalk problems still
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/1999 14:32:11
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 5:21 PM -0800 11/17/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >Right. But these numbers (outside of 65280->65534) are invalid if there is
> >not an appletalk router around. Machines are supposed to re-map in that
> >case..
>
> But the net number that is correct is the one in use by the other devices
> on the net.  You would have to power down every device on the net in order
> to remap the net number, not just the Mac, wouldn't you?

Technically the correct net number is the one the administrator assigned
to the net. :-) Compliance of other machines to that scheme is seperate.
:-)

I know in phase 2, router vs no router is a boot time decision. If you
bring a machine up w/o phase 2, it's supposed to stick in routerless
config, and so if you bring up routers later, you have to cycle that
machine.

I'm not sure what happens if you want to change the net number range on a
live net, if you have to cycle the machines on it..

Hauke, just to make sure I didn't miss something, the only two machines on
this net are your Duo and the netBSD box, yes?

Take care,

Bill