Subject: Re: 1.4.1 Kernel Rebuild and panic: fpu_add
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Satoshi Hirai <hirais@po.teleway.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1999 16:29:11
At 01:56 99/11/04 +0900, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to use the kernel that is rebuilded by environment.  But
> it's not work normally.
>
> The symptom of the problem is a message (on booting time).
> > starting local daemons: apacheIllegal instruction - core dumped
>
> After boot process complete, login as root and execute 'ps -aux' command.
> The result is:
> > # ps -aux
> > USER     PID    %CPU ...
> > panic: fpu_add
> > Stopped in ps at    _Debugger + 0x6: unlk  a6
> > db>
>
> I read this mailing list archive and find 'fpu_add error' topics.  But
> it seems the problem isn't resolved.
>
> Somebody said stack trace (t command) will display good information.
> So I enter 't' command.  The Result is:
> > db> t
> > _Debugger (...
> > _panic
> > _fpu_add
> > gcc2_compiled.
> > _fpu_logn
> > _fpu_emul_arith
> > _fpu_emulate
> > fault() + c
>
> My environment:
> CPU: IIvi (68030 16MHz no fpu)
> Memory: 20MBytes
> Disk: Quantum FireBall 2GBytes
>
> kernel conf:
> - Using GENERIC, but selecting 'sbc0' instead of 'ncrscsi0'.
> - Delete Some SCSI device, such as scanner, tape.
> ## When I tested 1.4.1 binary distrbuted kernel,
> ## 'sbc0: parity error' message was displayed on the console.
> ## So I guess some SCSI driver is not match to IIvi.
>
>     *
>
> I tested GENERIC-13 pre-build kernel.
> Apache can't start by 'Illegal instruction'.  The ps -aux command not
> become trigger for panic, but it displayed storange result.
> > ps: proc size mismatch (8840 total, 666 chunks)
> Each process STARTED time is '1Jan70'.
>
> By the way, I not have to use sbc0 SCSI driver on GENERIC-13 kernel.
> I hope I can use ncrscsi driver on IIvi.  (for CPU resouce saving)
>
>     *
>
> Is there any hints, work arrounds, patches?
>
> I hope you could understand what I mean although my English is not
> good enough.
>
> Thank you.
>

> ---
> Satoshi Hirai                                  From Kanagawa, JAPAN
>                                     E-Mail: hirais@po.teleway.ne.jp

After some expariment I have found the way to made working kernel.  I
replaced 1.4.1's fp code to 1.4's one.

I made the kernel by following steps.

(1) Extract 1.4.1 source code.
(2) Make config binary in usr.sbin directory.
(3) Copy and modify GENERIC config file.
    - Enable sbc0 driver instead of ncrscsi0 driver.
    - Remove some scsi device ( exactly ch*, se*, and ss* ).
    - Remove NUBUS video card related lines macvid*, grf*.
(4) Copy arch/m68k/fp* directry from 1.4 source tree.
(5) Run config(by step 2's binary), make depend and make.

On this kernel, apache and ps-command seems to work fine.

But the kernel, I think, is not stable.

    *

Last week, I decided to exchange IIvi in my office and Quadra 650 in
my home.  So I can go arround the problem if it will be not resolved.

Thank you.

---