Subject: Re: Mode32
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1999 08:34:03
Apparently the IIx, IIcx and SE/30 all used exactly the same ROMs with an
extra kludge on the SE/30 to make it think the internal video was in a NuBus
slot. If this is the case then the number of models really reduces to just
the II and IIx.

I would not suggest not going down the reprogramming the roms trick, not
many people can blow roms.

Somebody did propose mimicing how the 'System' file works, that sounds like
a good really idea.

I presume the II and IIx actually have the HFS code in the ROMs, (I know the
MacPlus did not but that was still able to boot from an HFS volume).

Do Macs boot by loading a boot/IPL record (apart from the driver) from a
Volume or do they boot by using their HFS ROM code to read the system file?

Regards

Roger

Mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>