Subject: Re: X problems
To: Pat Plummer <ppat@tvipa.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1999 22:15:50
On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Pat Plummer wrote:

> Can't get X to start with startx, but can with xinit. When it starts, I
> get a term window, but none of the other x apps I specified in .xinitrc
> to show up. The term window is low and has none of the borders, title
> bars, colors, etc. I need a veteran's help as the FAQs etc have not been
> helpful.

Sounds like you don't background the first app you start. When you
'^D' the xterm, does the next app start? The title bars &c are drawn
by the window manager. The quick solution is just to run "twm &" from
the shell. Even better, end .xinitrc with "exec xsm". Here's an
example .xinitrc (modify for your purposes)

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 3 2"		# for 4-button mouse
xset m 8 3				# mouse acceleration
xset fp+ /usr/local/share/fonts		# for mahjongg
xset fp+ /usr/pkg/lib/metamail/fonts	# metamail stuff
xsetroot -mod 2 2 -fg bisque -bg burlywood
SM_SAVE_DIR=~/.xsm ; export SM_SAVE_DIR
exec xsm

None of those apps need '&' at the end of them (as xterms would),
because they all do their thing to the server and then complete.
SM_SAVE_DIR is to keep xsm from polluting your home directory with
dot-files. Now when you open xsm for the first time, you must choose
the default session, which is one xterm + xsm proxy + twm. Then you
can open some apps from the xterm, and later use xsm's "Save Session"
to create additional sessions, which (try to) restore the state of all
open apps at the the time you saved them.

At some point you'll want to get a _real_ window manager. The package
system has many choices, from starkly minimal "wm2", to "kde," which
aims to be a Windoze killer complete with games and applications.
I'm going to refrain from making any recommendations here, as that's
liable to start a religous war. :-)

Take care