Subject: Re: Macintosh IIx
To: NetBSD Mac68k <wonko@entropy.tmok.com, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Mesander <bam@dimensional.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1999 18:22:30
At 5:40 PM -0700 11/2/99, Wonko the Sane (Brian Hechinger) wrote:
>i just aquired a Macintosh IIx (1988-1990) and i've got a couple questions
>about it (i'm sure i'll have more later)

>what is the real-world speed of a 16Mhz 68030 with 8MB ram?

It took 3 days to compile a netbsd kernel on my se/30 with 8M. Upgrading to
more ram (I have 68M now) helps a bit, but it's not that speedy.

 can it run Netscape and maybe be yet
>another cheesy 8-bit web surfer here in my house?  (it is 8-bit, or do i have
>to find out what video card i have?  or can we safely assume 8-bit?  has an
>RGB monitor, so i'm assuming it's got SOME graphics ability?)

Netscape 2 runs well under MacOS. Netscape 3 runs slowly. On netbsd, Mosaic
is pretty slow, I think Mozilla on a 16MHz system would be unuseable.

www.lowendmac.com is a good starting point.