Subject: Macintosh IIx
To: NetBSD Mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Wonko the Sane (Brian Hechinger) <wonko@users.tmok.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1999 19:40:50
i just aquired a Macintosh IIx (1988-1990) and i've got a couple questions
about it (i'm sure i'll have more later)

is there anyway of getting more than 8MB of ram in it?

what is the real-world speed of a 16Mhz 68030 with 8MB ram?  what could i use
it for?  i could really use a firewall machine so i can get the firewall off
of my SUN (which is REALLY supposed to be just a desktop, but as usual isn't)
DNS Server, what am i looking at here.  can it run Netscape and maybe be yet
another cheesy 8-bit web surfer here in my house?  (it is 8-bit, or do i have
to find out what video card i have?  or can we safely assume 8-bit?  has an
RGB monitor, so i'm assuming it's got SOME graphics ability?)

i honestly know very little about macs, maybe i should be pointed to a web page
or two (or 1000) so i don't ask so many stupid questions.

like: how do i get NetBSD on this thing?  i don't know the first thing about
booting a Mac.  stuff like that.

-wonko
--
Just an old hardware geek with some new old crap to play with.