Subject: Re: Sendmail in weird environment
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1999 09:29:31
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> > > Problem is all my scripts call sendmail and send-mail bone-headedly
> > > assumes that it shouldn't use smtp for delivering messages to local users,
> > > even if I specify a FQDN.  I've tried every parameter I could think of
> > > trying to override this behaviour and force it to use smtp for local users
> > > to no avail.
>
> Wouldn't this create a looping type of problem?  If the local sendmail
> uses smtp to deliver locally, it would connect with itself in a loop.  Or
> did I miss something?

Only if sendmail were actuallly running as a background daemon.  What I'm
trying to do is have ssh port forwarding listening on that port instead.
Thus, in effect, mklinux.org's sendmail is listening on the SMTP port
instead.  There is no reason to deliver anything locally on ftp2 (except
perhaps root's mail, but... I'll even take that forwarded if it
simiplifies things.

> A------|------B
>       FW
>
> Basically, A is on campus, B is at work, and the FW inbetween blocks SMTP
> going from A to B, correct?  So you set up a ssh forward which would cause
> "telnet A 25" to actually connect to "B:25", right?  And now you want mail
> coming to A to be re-routed (via the ssh tunnel) to B:25?

I want mail being directed to local users on A from itself to be rerouted
to B.25 and delivered as if the mail were being directed to a user there.

> If so, is B setup to receive mail to A's domain?

Yes.  Done that.

> If the campus allows access from B to A via POP or IMAP, I'd suggest using
> something like fetchmail (if that's feasible).

I odn't know if that's blocked or not.  Might be one possibility.

David