Subject: Re: More problems with Apple Ethernet card
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1999 13:38:13
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> Does anyone have any thoughts on why this could be dying there?  BTW, just
> to refresh, it's a DP83934, not a 932, according to the chip on the card.
> It's an old card, which I believe was built by Apple, but again, it's
> _not_ the one with a 68000 on board (A/ROSE... Vrtx... ick).

A little more info, it appears to have some foreign writing, which at a
glance appears to be Japanese.  Its english description says

Apple Computer, Inc. 820-0511-A
Apple Ethernet NB Twisted-Pair Card
(C) 1993

Main chip is

Sonic-T(tm)
DO83934AVQB

Two chips by TI, a handful of smaller chips, some discrete devices, a
crystal, and what appears to be the declaration ROM or something.  Seems
like a regular old Sonic card, just with a newer chip rev.

Looking at the info from National Semiconductor, It looks like it should
be backwards-compatible.  I have the strangest suspicion that there's
either an interrupt issue or possibly even just a different memory offset
at work.  Any thoughts on where to begin tracking this one?

David