Subject: installing netbsd problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Miles <mile0001@bigfoot.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1999 18:33:31
Hello all,

I'm working on installing NetBSD and having a problem that hopefully
someone might have seen before.

The system is an SE/30 with a 1.8 GB Seagate drive with three partitions,
the first is a 1.5 GB Root and Usr partition, the second is a 50mg Swap and
the third is a 200mg Mac with a bare install of 7.5.5 and mode32.  It has 8
mg of memory, with the installer and booter both set to 6mg.

The first part of the problem is that when using the installer (v. 1.1g), I
only get part way through installing the base.tar or comp.tar etc., before
I get an error of:
"Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
pos = 0, i = 86, fs = /
alloccgblk:  can't find blk in cyl"

Looking through the FAQ I found a work around of; cpin the tarballs with
the mini-shell; got that to work.  Then it says to boot into single user
and this is where the big question is.  When I try to boot (booter v.
1.11.4) it gets through rattling off that series of numbers and then the
quote of "bye-bye-..so I sez to him..."  The screen goes blank and then the
memory mappings flow past and just when it gets to the point where it
should be about done (I think) it locks into a repeated loop of "Process
(pid 1) got signal 10" or sometimes 11.  The only way to stop it is to turn
off the computer.  I unfortunately havn't been able to catch the last
message on the screen before it enters this loop as it's going to fast.

So, does anyone know of away around either of these problems?  It sounds
like the first one may be due to the size of the hard drive, but it's the
only spare hard drive I've got.  Would a smaller root partition help?

Any ideas what might be going on with the Process error?

Sorry if this has all been discussed before, I'm a newbe at Netbsd.

Thanks,
Andrew