Subject: Macintosh SE/30 hardware questions
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Mesander <bam@dimensional.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1999 23:29:24
Hi,

  I have two questions that are only sort of peripherally related to
NetBSD, but it was suggested to me by other list members that this was
a good place to ask as there are a good number of people clued about older
mac hardware on the list.

  I have an SE/30 running MacOS 7.5.5 and NetBSD 1.4.1. While building a
new kernel, I decided I had to have more than the 8M of RAM it had already
(8 1M 30-pin simms). I decided to go all out and attempt 128M (8 16M 30-pin
simms). The problem is, if I put 4 16M simms in bank A (the bank towards
the front of the case), the mac refuses to boot. It makes five chimes, and
the screen is the usual grey bitmap with random vertical and horizontal lines
messing it up. There is no sad mac or folder icon.

  I am able to put 4 16M simms in bank B, and 4 1M simms in bank A for a
total of 68M installed. I have connectix mode32 installed, and in this
configuration, I can access all 68M from both MacOS and NetBSD. However,
I can't get the 128M configuration to work, or a 64M+ config to work with
16M simms in bank A. If I put 4 16M simms in bank A - death chimes. The
same simms work correctly in bank B.

  The 16M simms are 8 bits wide and have the following markings on them:

<Logo> Japan
8116100-70PJ
9349 T63

  I realize the use of 16M simms is not sanctioned by Apple, but I have
found a TIL article which says it works although is unsupported, and I have
also heard other people have made this work. The speed the SE/30 requires is
apparently 120ns or better - I'm guessing from the above markings that what
I have are 70ns parts.

  Any clues as to why this isn't working for me?

  I'm also interested in possibly accelerating the mac with a diimo 50MHz
030/882 accelerator. I already have a Asante MacCon 30i ethernet card in the
slot on the side of the machine which has a passthrough for another card.
However, the passthrough points straight at the mounting bracket for my
2.2G hard drive with only about 1/4" clearance! Nothing's going to fit there.
Does the diimo have a pasthrough? (micromac tech support does not answer
email) Has anyone gotten this accellerator to work before with the asante
ethernet card inside the rather cramped se/30 case?

  Thanks for your help!

--Ben Mesander
bam@dimensional.com