Subject: Re: e/net card recognition at boot
To: charlie allom <charlie@pobox.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1999 22:46:41
> sold to me as "10BaseT & AUI network card for SE/30"
> on the port part of the card it reads..
> "CABLETRON SYSTEMS INC.  PN 9000206-01"
> and on the PDS side of the card it says..
> "CABLETRON SYSTEMS INC.  PN 9000209-06 SE/30"

On the PDS side (probably), there should be a chip that's larger than
the others.  Does it have 8390 or 83902 written on it?  Or some variant
of 83932?  Or something else entirely?  The first would indicate that it
needs the ae driver.  The second would indicate that it really should be
using the sn driver.  It's probably an ae device, though, in which case
we just need to find out where the RAM on the device really lives.  If I
recall correctly (not looking at the specs), a PDS card can choose which
slot it appears to be in (and you could actually have multiple PDS cards
or a multi-function PDS card showing up in different virtual slots).

Basically, you need to dig out the RAM, PROM, and register addresses
for the card, plug them into the right kernel sources, and it will
probably work (assuming it is an ae device).

-allen