Subject: Boot issue with 1.4.1
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Reale <treale@mfi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1999 08:50:32
--------------B3501F54CD1ED4614939DCFB

Hi, I've installed the NetBSD 1.4.1 onto the following hardware:

Quadra 650, 40MB RAM, Quantum LP240S at scsi id 0

The drive is partitioned as follows:

sd0a - 45MB type Root partition
sd0b - 80MB type Swap partition
sd0c - does not appear in the MacBSD UFS Install utility, hmmm....
sd0d - Apple "Patch" partition
sd0e - 20MB type Usr partition
sd0f - 9MB Mac_HFS partition (for booting to MacOS)
sd0g - 80MB type Usr partition
sd0h - "Apple Free" extra blocks

I've encountered two unexpected issues during this process:
     1. After partitioning the drive and running the Install utility for
the first time, I am able to use the Mini shell to create the /usr and
/etc directories. However, all attempts to mount sd0g and sd0e to these
points yield the message "/usr : No such file or directory" or "/etc: No
such file or directory". The syntax I've employed is: "mount /dev/sd0g
/usr". I've tried removing the directories and recreating them, and also
using the other version of the installer that shipped with this version
of NetBSD.

    2. So, I decided to attempt a minimum install of 1.4.1 on the 45MB
Root partition. I installed base.tgz, etc.tgz, and kern.tgz (which is
listed as netbsd.tgz in the install docs, by the way). When I boot, the
kernel is recognized as executable and the system runs through its
hardware init process. However, just after the root file system is
recognized as type ffs, the boot process halts with the following
message:

warning: no /dev/console

I attempted to boot from a copy of the kernel sitting on the HFS
partition with the same results. I tried using the second kernel that
comes with the system, with the same results. If I run the Mini shell, I
can ls the /dev directory and sure enough there is no "console" file
there.

Should that file be in the base.tgz package? Is it in another?

I appreicate your help with this.

Thanks,

Tom Reale
treale@mfi.com

--------------B3501F54CD1ED4614939DCFB

begin:vcard
n:Reale;Tom
tel;work:(650) 655-4375
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.mfi.com
org:MFI;San Mateo
version:2.1
email;internet:treale@mfi.com
title:IT Manager and LAN Administrator
adr;quoted-printable:;;411 Borel Ave.=0D=0ASuite 100;San Mateo;CA;94402;USA
fn:Tom Reale
end:vcard

--------------B3501F54CD1ED4614939DCFB--