Subject: Re: Mkfs_1.46
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1999 18:21:28
Frederick Bruckman  (fb@enteract.com) wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> Frederick Bruckman  (fb@enteract.com) wrote:
>> >The way I read Tommy Smith's message, the _default_ Sector Size was
>> >256. I seem to recall Mkfs_1.45 coming up with odd defaults for the
>> >other paramaters, but never anything but 512 for the Sector Size. So
>> >is that the case, that Mkfs produced a _default_ Sector Size of 256,
>> >or is this simply a case of pilot error?
>>
>> I didn't change anything in that section of Mkfs for the 1.46 update, so
>> unless the new CodeWarrior Pro 5 compiler generated bad code this time
>> around this shouldn't be any different between 1.45 and 1.46.
>
>Maybe this is an old problem. The poster who started this thread
>solved his problem by reverting to Mkfs_1.45, but that was something
>different.

Yes, I think this is an old problem.  So far I've only seen one or two
people post problems they encountered with Mkfs 1.46 but haven't gotten
anything solid I can work on.  I have gotten a number of private e-mail
reports that Mkfs 1.46 worked fine and that it solved the problem that
1.45 has with Linux formatted disk partitions.  At this point I'm just
going to assume that there's either no interest in solving this problem
in 1.46 or it isn't really a problem.

Besides, I see that the next version of Apple's Disk Setup that comes
with MacOS 9 is supposted to allow one to setup UNIX partitions.  Maybe
it will replace Mkfs for us.

>> It's been some time since I looked at that section, but as I recall
>> it gets this value from the drive itself by doing a Mode Sense.
>> That's why some have reported in the past that they were unable to
>> use certain disks with NetBSD because they were originally
>> formatted for block sizes other than 512.
>
>I seem to recall there's some kind of trickery involved in getting the
>geometry with a Mode Sense. You get different values depending on how
>you've set the "Notch" first: notch 0 for the whole drive synthetic
>geometry, notches 1 - ? for actual values. FWB Hard Disk Toolkit
>returns the notch 0 value by default; maybe Mkfs does it different,
>i.e. _wrong_?

As I recall there are four different sets of values, Default, Active,
Current, and one other that seems to be media related.  When I played
with them on all the disks I have I wasn't able to find any differences
between the four sets.  At one time I thought the removable media disks
like the Zip would return different values and worked on that trying to
solve the Zip problems we had at the time.  That didn't pan out and I
instead implemented a solution suggested by Bill Studenmund which was to
pick a set of default values that was more or less universal for all SCSI
devices.  That's what both 1.45 and 1.46 do now, although neither of them
screw with the block size.

-bob