Subject: Re: Mkfs_1.46
To: Tommy Smith <thsmith@online.no>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1999 01:14:48
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > Tommy Smith  (thsmith@online.no) wrote:
> > Mkfs formats the three NetBSD partions, but only _half_ the size it
> > >should be.  I changed the Sector Size from 256 to 512, and the partions
> > >was then formatted to the right size as mentioned above :-)
>
> Right, because they really are 512-byte sectors. :-)

No question there...

> The problem is that if you tell mkfs an incorrect sector size, it'll make
> an incorrect filesystem. :-)

The way I read Tommy Smith's message, the _default_ Sector Size was
256. I seem to recall Mkfs_1.45 coming up with odd defaults for the
other paramaters, but never anything but 512 for the Sector Size. So
is that the case, that Mkfs produced a _default_ Sector Size of 256,
or is this simply a case of pilot error?